Monday, November 10, 2014

Millennials and Marmalade: The Age of Generation Pinterest

This weekend I had a lot of fun "vibing" my apartment. What is "vibing" you ask? My friend Tiffany (coincidentally the co-author of this blog) uses this term often, when creating a mood, feeling, color scheme, or even conversation in any given space. After a long week at work where we vibed the heck out of a doctor's office lobby, I came home and looked around. I thought, "Who lives here? This furniture doesn't tell you anything except that I like Pottery Barn but can afford World Market. Where are my favorite colors? What do I want to happen here? A coctail party? Can I cozy up for fall, per Lauren Conrad's suggestions, on a beige sofa while watching a fishtank? I think not." Being a part of Generation Pinterest has f****d me the hell up. I literally become disappointed in myself when I forget an office potluck or something and end up having to make break and bake brownies. This is no bueno. If I had remembered, I would have busted out the mini bundt pans and gone all lemon ricotta cake with ganache poured from a vintage ceramic pitcher. 

But we were vibing...So I set out to find some inexpensive and beautiful pieces that would start to take my post college all beige everythanggg scheme to something warm, and inviting, and chic, and, well, everything I want to feel when I'm in my home. Talk to my 2 year old, however, and inviting and chic are not the words he would use to describe his ideal environment. No, Sawyer would prefer something truck-y, preferably sticky, and with some kind of whacking utensil on every ledge. My husband would prefer a very pile-y hobbit hole with TVs in every room and access to beverages while sitting. As you can see, my room mates and I did not go to the same design school. Lucky for me, the two year old tends to keep his opinions to himself as long as he receives a steady flow of cheerios and my husband, well, he just knows better. I found some amazing items from a variety of stores in single shopping trip-- between Target, World Market, TJMaxx, and a garage sale on the drive home, I created awesome living and bathroom spaces for less than a Pottery Barn side table. (But hey, if your budget stretches...go for it.)

As a 20-something in this world I really want it all, (and for some reason believe) that I can have it all. I can work at a techy startup and make dinner 5 nights out of the week and be an awesome wife and teach my son about bugs in the park and be romantic with my husband and climb the corporate ladder and paint just for fun and remember every birthday and throw dinner parties and fold fitted sheets! And wear heels! In reality, I try my best and sometimes I forget stuff. Or I fall asleep before the dishes are done. Or I bring flats..often. But my point is that I don't stop trying. Keep the Martha dream alive! My hope is that this blog will reach like-minded folks out there who appreciate life and style story swapping.

Well lets keep it short and sweet. 

XO, 

Cookie

Ps here's my apartment now-- so cute right????




1 comment:

  1. Looks amazing! I love World Market and TJMaxx for home goods.

    ReplyDelete